Staying fit is what everyone wants but is not easy. Work out, walking, jogging, diet, etc is not easy for everyone. Besides, this is not possible for everyone at every age. Even working out at a yoga retreat or mediating sitting on the floor is not possible for many due to age or physical problems. However, such people do not need to live a unhealthy life. This cannot stop them from working out and making them clumsy and dull. There is a special form of yoga that can be done by anyone ant any age and anywhere. All you need is a chair. This is known as ‘Chair Yoga’
Chair yoga can be practiced anywhere – including the office, classroom or on a plane. It’s ideal for seniors and people with disabilities. It offers the benefits of yoga even with limited range of motion. Armchair yoga offers the benefits of a traditional yoga practice, such as lower stress, better posture and improved flexibility.
An armless chair is the best yoga chair but you can practice it on your office chair, dining chair, etc.
Here are some simple exercises that can be practiced in Chair Yoga. These are:
Bend & Twist:
· Stretch your back and upper body, and release the tension on your shoulders and neck. Inhale and bend forward from the waist, allowing your arms to fall naturally toward the floor. Come back to a seated position as you exhale.
· Placing your right hand outside the left knee and left hand at the back of the chair, twist your spine towards left and then towards right.
Lift Your Lower Body
· Bend and twist will relax the upper part of your body.
However, there are some moves for your lower body as well.
· Exhale completely, then as you inhale, grasp one knee and pull it toward your chest. Hold the stretch as you hold your breath, and release as you exhale. Repeat for the other knee.
· Doing leg lifts in your chair will help in improved circulation. Grasp the chair for balance, and raise one leg to a straight position. Hold briefly, release and repeat on the other side.
These are some simple exercises you can practice. Coming to food let’s speak about some healthy food. Let’s talk about a soup which is refreshing and revitalizing. Read the recipe below for making this delicious Gazpacho.
· 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
· 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
· 1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped
· beetroot (for color)
· 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
· garlic and onion (optional)
· 3 tbs olive oil
· sea salt
· water (if needed)
Blend all your ingredients together and serve with fresh lemon.
Thus, yoga can be practiced anywhere and not just at a yoga retreat or meditation retreat.